I walked into a coffee shop a few moments ago and got a man hug from one of the baristas.
This is the first time I’ve eve been here. It’s a pretty cool place.
Soft chairs. Good espresso. Free wifi.
But I don’t want to come back because of any of this things. I know of other soft seats and other places with good coffee. I have wifi at home.
I will come back because I got a hug. A man hug.
I’ve been here once//but I feel like I belong here.
I’ve known the barista since I moved here almost 2 years ago. I never got hugs back then. But he learned my name. Learned about my job and my wife.
When I came in today we asked me about all those.
I will come back because HE CARES!
I will come back because HE LISTENS!
I will come back because HE HUGS!
That’s how I want my ministry and life to be.
Here are a few “overheard” observations that a few couples were having around me as I was doing some event planning @ Starbucks…
- “Church is better when your tired cause then your just glazed over and don’t have to be distracted.”
- “You go or you don’t go…just deal with it!”
- “You don’t like it, don’t go next time…”
- Son to Father…”I hate church, it’s boring, and I don’t want to go anymore.”
- ” You control your own destiny…so you should go to church.”
It breaks my heart when people talk about church that way…. I wish they would be saying…
- “Church is best when your wide awake…cause if your not you could miss something, something worth seeing.”
- “Sunday is the best day of the week!”
- “Church is so exciting…I never want to miss a Sunday!”
- Son to Father…”I love church, it’s so cool…can I go to small group?”
What do you wish you heard people saying about church (not just your church but the church as a whole)?
Posted in Church, Coffee, God, Hope, Jesus, Local, Religion, Small Groups, youth, youth ministry
Tagged Coffee, Hope, Religion